THE JUICE
[enhancement:reach]
[retrival:journalling]
[obsolescence: op-ed]
[reversal:narcissism]
Thursday, February 09, 2006
paging dr. quinn
The new glasses continue to reveal the hidden wonders of my environment to me. Chinatown is always a visual spectacle and their signage is especially noteworthy. Although I've always been aware of some humorous head-scratchers along the Queen - College strip ("Spadina Fruits & Fruits"), I've recently been able to pick out some smaller typefaces from the safety of my fish-market-odour-proof 510 streetcar. Today:

"PETE SAMPRAS FURS"

Two problems:

ONE: I am approximately 96% sure that retired international tennis superstar and former Wimbledon Champion Pete Sampras neither owns, operates, or endorses a Fur Merchant in Toronto's Chinatown. I must admit though, that this is a possibility; I'm really not sure what Mr. Sampras is doing with himself post-tennis. I strongly suspect it involves supermodels and Bentley's, yahting and champagne, and P. Diddy shows up in there somewhere, 'cause he likes to stick his nose into everything, 'cause he's P. Diddy and he's like that.

TWO: Pete Sampras is not Chinese. I will ask Lisa Chau (my go-to consultant for all matters Chinese and haircuts) for confirmation of this, but I'm pretty gosh darn sure.
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Man, I think they get their fur from Pete Sampras' chest, have you seen the rug on that guy? I mean, the guys got lots to give, they probably shave him like a sheep, and this is coming from a guy who has his share of bear hair.